Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Deck the Halls - Christmas decorating on a budget

Money is tight to begin with around the Holidays so the thought of shelling out more cash for decorations distresses me. Like most young people, the majority of my Christmas decor is hand-me-downs, dollar store deals or thrift store finds - let it be known, there is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes those thrifty finds could use a little sprucing up. For little or no money, I spread the joy throughout my house by using said finds, basic craft supplies and a little creativity...

Fill clear vases in different shapes and heights with shiny bulbs to create a stand alone centerpeice. All these bulbs were purchased at Goodwill for less than $2. By placing a mirror underneath, the light is bounced off and creates a little sparkle.





Give any plain, boring decorations a little glitz and glitter! Mix equal parts Elmer's School Glue and water then add a couple tablespoons of loose glitter. Using an old paint brush (not all the glitter will wash out), brush or dab the mixture on until you reach your desired level of glitteriness (this was 3 coats).




Little hands shattered a cherished snow globe? Carefully clean out all the glass and add a candle. Voila!

Fill awkward spaces with color by using more bulbs (hey, you can pick them up all year on the cheap). I used a large serving tray as a base to add pine cones that I gathered from the park, glass bulbs that lost their hangers (just tuck them in upside down) and a few sprigs of gold berries.

Save a yard sale wreath! I bought this one for 50 cents and quickly removed every tacky berry, broken pine cone and gaudy ribbon. Once it was a blank canvas, I was able to add whatever I wanted. Here, I decided to keep it simple and just wrapped it with gold and red ribbon and a strand of beaded garland.



 Make every inch of your home ooze Christmas spirit by converting pictures into presents. Dollar Store wrapping paper and a few strips of thick ribbon transform the entire look of the room.
If your picture is larger than the width of standard wrapping paper, try using a vinyl table cloth (this one I purchased after Christmas last year for around a buck). Just make sure your tape is strong enough to hold (I used Duct tape).



For a dramatic statement, spray paint branches from your backyard with a shimmery metallic gold or silver and put in tall vases. I added some silk poinsettias for color and a couple red spiky filler stems.
A clear plate from the dollar store becomes a bold platter with some pretty fabric and Mod Podge. Just cut the fabric to size and decoupage on the back. I used a plate stand to display it upright and it became a nice addition to my bakers rack.

Bulbs, bulbs and more bulbs. Here I strung glittered bulbs (these came that way but you could do it yourself) with plain red ribbon and strung from the curtain rod. I just guessed on the length of each one to keep the look random and made sure the knot was behind the rod so it looked clean and finished.
Sorry it's so dark.

If you haven't noticed yet, I love glittery things and I always buy the inexpensive packs of flat glitter ornaments at Walmart (they are only .97 for 12!) but I realized this year that I had way more than I needed for the tree. With a little wrapping ribbon, I was able to string them to use as garland. I did this one with gold and silver snowflakes but there are a ton of shapes and colors available.


weave it right through


I apologize in advance for this picture, but here is my solution to hang stockings without a mantle. Normally I just use hooks on the wall but this year I thought I could make the most out of all surfaces and decided to hang them in front of the sliding glass doors (they wont be getting used in the winter). I used a curtain rod that my son ripped out of his wall (don't ask) and a strand of beaded garland, that's it. I wrapped the ends of the garland around the ends of the rod and twisted them together so they would 'knot', strung the stockings on (do this first I suppose) and hung from a small tack nail near the ceiling.





Well there were 12 ideas from my home, hope you find something to try in yours. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment