Sunday, November 18, 2012

Oven Dried Oranges - the poorman's potpourri

Ah, the dried orange. There is something about the simple little slices that brings back memories of the potpourri dish at Grandma's house or the Christmas ornaments handed down to you by your Great Aunt. What is it about drying fruit that transforms an ordinary produce staple into a timeless decoration? I can't answer that question, but I can tell you how to do it yourself.

For me, oranges are a craving food. I love fruit in general, and eat plenty, but oranges never topped my list. Generally after enjoying one or two, the rest of the bag is left to rot. Recently I found that happening again so I decided to spare them a trip to the landfill and repurpose them into something pretty.


This is easier than you can imagine. Start by slicing the oranges about 1/4 inch thick. You can use a mandolin if you want but honestly, if you use a sharp knife you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure your knife is serrated (the kind for bread) or you will have orange juice all over your counter and your slices will be a pulpy mess. 


Lay all the slices on a baking sheet, making sure they are not over lapping. I think I had 5 oranges left and needed two large pans. No need to grease, just place in an oven preheated to 200 degrees. Bake for approximately 6 hours, flipping and rotating pans about halfway through. When they are done you should be able to smell them fairly strong and they will be a deep brown color.


That's it! You're done. The options are endless now; add to store bought potpourri, glue to a picture frame, string on garland, hang on you're Christmas tree...

  

I put mine in a decorative glass jar and used as a nice addition to a bathroom shelf. 

Overtime, the fragrance may disappear; just add a few drops of essential orange oil and they will be just like new!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment