Monday, November 26, 2012

10 Minutes a Day to an Organized Life - the cosmetics stash

I may pride myself on being crafty but the older I get, and more stuff I accumulate, the more I realize the NEED to get (and stay) organized. I must admit, organization does not come naturally to me but I devised a plan that would not take up more than 10 minutes a day and would help me live with more order and less stress.

There is no need to tackle your entire house at once - that would just cause clutter chaos. Instead, I prefer to focus on one small project a day, and before you know it, your house, and your life, seem more manageable. 


I chose to start with every women's bottomless pit - the cosmetic stash. This black hole is a necessity and is used on a daily basis, yet is often overlooked. So why not get it out of the way first? I keep my makeup in a decorative box that I can keep on the counter so I have easy access to it and it still looks pretty. The key is to pick a small box - the less room you have to store things, the less things you will have. Simple, huh?


What a mess!
Pretty gross, huh?
First things first - empty out your entire collection and get ready to sort. Find all your brushes, they need to be washed (this should be done more often than you would think). In a cup, put a couple tablespoons of vinegar, a squirt of dish soap and top off with hot water and let your brushes soak for about 5 minutes (give 'em a good swirl to get 'em going).

While brushes are soaking, use a disinfectant wipe to clean your drawer, or box, inside and out. 

Yuck!   

Next, you need to decide what you should keep and what can be pitched. As a rule, anything that is over 6 months should be thrown away but don't stop there; if it is a color that doesn't flatter you, get rid of it. If it is so close to being empty, yet you think you can get another drop out of it, just face the facts and throw it out. If it is cracked, broken or otherwise destroyed, just toss it (you will feel better when everything looks nice and new).

Admittedly, I wear a lot less make up now that I am a stay at home mom but here is my list of the only things, I believe, that are needed...
  • a good foundation - if you are going to splurge, this is where to do it
  • a loose finishing powder - makes your look complete even when you're short on time
  • brown/black mascara - colors are fun but a dark mascara works for every complexion and hair color
  • eyeshadow in shades of brown - get the most bang for your buck and pick one that has 3 or 4 colors in it that is used for the entire eye area (highlights, lid, liner) and has flecks of gold
  • eyeshadow in shades of gray - again, pick one that has multiple shades in one and has flecks of silver
  • eyeshadow in deep charcoal - this is to be used as eyeliner and I make sure to get one that has a little shimmer to it
  • wild card eyeshadow - whatever crazy color that works for you that could be used for a night on the town or for a fun and flirty look (try aquas or purples!)
  • pearl eyeshadow - the more shimmer the better here - use for highlights 
  • neutral lipstick - for everyday use based on skin tone
  • vibrant lipstick - whether bright red or hot pink, pick something that is a go to when you go out
  • clear gloss - a no brainer, just adds some shine (try one with a plumper built in)
  • primer - I only use primer for special occasions, but it really evens out skin tone and saves your face if tears are going to be shed (a must have for weddings)
  • blush (optional) - I don't personally wear it, but it is a staple for a lot of women
That's it! That's all you need to look great every single day! All those extras that we buy on sale or purchase for a specific event just become lost in a heap of clutter anyways.

Once I decide what I am keeping, I use another wipe and give a good scrub to every single thing that's going back into the box (those things get dirtier than you would believe) and give my brushes a good rinse.
after...

And here is the end result. Try to keep up on this every six months or so and you are one step closer to an organized life.

No comments:

Post a Comment