Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Magnetic Organization - repurposed cereal box

This project stemmed from aggravation. My husband works odd hours and is constantly printing his schedule due to staffing changes. At any time there are probably three different pieces of paper with his hours on them laying on top of the fridge or just thrown on the counter. I tried using magnets to just stick it on the side of the fridge, out of sight, but that looked sloppy to me (especially when the paper had been folded ten times and would no longer lay flat). After seeing an article on using an old cereal box to sort and store office documents I figured it could work for my dilemma as well.

With my sons help I cut the flaps off then cut a few inches off the top until it was the height I wanted (didn't measure it). It was an awkward shape to cut without crushing the box but I just kept shaving off a little at the time until it was straight then cut a "V" into the center.


Using scrapbook paper in colors that coordinated with my kitchen, I cut four strips (front, back and sides) that were slightly longer than the length of the box. Plain Elmer's School Glue was then spread on evenly and the extra paper was wrapped around the top to help give a finished edge.



I then glued an entire sheet of paper around the front and sides (it was the perfect size) and a smaller piece on the bottom. You could decorate the back but I didn't see any reason to. After attaching a magnetic strip to the back with hot glue, it was ready to go on the fridge.

The glue is still wet in this one so it looks a little wrinkled but it dried completely smooth.


Besides the Hubby's schedule, this works perfect for my sons weekly school memos and any recipes I want to use during the week. Definitely better than a bunch of loose papers all over!

No comments:

Post a Comment