Sunday, December 30, 2012

Wrapped And Wired - bow tutorial

I HATE making bows but more than that I HATE paying huge amounts of money for bows. I may consider myself crafty but I am not that good at tasks that require me to hold, tuck, pin and wrap at the same time. Normally when I attempt to work with ribbon I end up loosing patience quickly, cuss and throw it in the trash. There must be an easier way.

Well, I figured it out. This may take a few extra steps but overall I think it is much, much easier.

Start by picking a thick ribbon, or thin, just make sure it has wire edges to help hold the shape. Cut it to twice the length you want the loop to be and bring the ends together.
Using floral ribbon, tightly wrap the center like you would a loaf of bread.
Continue cutting and twisting until you have at least three sections of bow then attach them all together. This is your first layer.
Using the same process, make 3 more bow sections but this time make the ribbon slightly longer and wire it underneath the first layer.
Lastly, cut a small length of ribbon and make a loop. Place it in the center of the bow and feed wire through the center so you don't see it and twist together on the bottom.

Tip: try to keep the layers spread out so they are not right on top of each other and fluff as you go.

Here is my finished bow on a wreath!




No comments:

Post a Comment