Sunday, December 30, 2012

Deck The Halls - wreath made with bargains and scraps

This tutorial is getting posted a little later than I anticipated but my holiday was crazy busy (I'm sure like most of you) and time has just slipped away from me. This Christmas was all about homemade gifts in the Hampton house and I must admit, there was a great sense of pride watching friends and family open a present that was made by either myself or my kids.

This wreath was made for my mom. When I was at her house recently I noticed most of her hanging decor was a tad bit outdated and that was all the motivation I needed to start digging through the craft room.

I started out with a straw base I picked up at Walmart right after Thanksgiving for only $1.00 and wrapped it with some red yarn I had laying around.

The wrapping was a little more involved than I figured it would be and I ended up going around it a couple of times to make sure there were no holes. I used small pins to secure it in place.
  I painted the back of a few wooden stars I picked up at Micheal's, for around 20 cents each, bright red to blend in with the yarn.

 Once the paint was dry I used watered down Elmer's glue to adhere scrapbook paper in a Christmas-y design to the front.

Bow making is definitely not my strong suit but by cutting large, wired ribbon into smaller pieces and then wiring it together, I get the same look as an expensive store bought on with a lot less stress on my part. Check out how I did it here.

Using more pins, I attached two different sizes of gold ribbon and wrapped them around the entire wreath, ending where I started and inserting more pins. Then I took another, longer length of ribbon and made a long loop to be used to hang it.
I took a few dollar store glitter ornaments, cut the strings off and hot glued them to the wreath then attached the stars on top of those. Hot glue the bow on and that was it.
And the finished product...


And she loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment