Monday, December 3, 2012

Simply Salvaged - a dramatic entryway

Every home has that one awkward wall or corner where nothing fits or looks right. For me, the shape of my living room has always proved to be a decorating challenge. With the front door in the corner, I have always used furniture to block off the different areas -entryway/living room- yet, there was still one wall that didn't quite work.

A low bookshelf has been there for awhile so I decided to take it one step further and make books more of a focal point. I searched my house for awhile looking for something I could use as more shelves but found nothing, so I gave up. A couple days later, at 11 o'clock at night, I had a brainstorm; what about those odd vintage wooden boards my father-in-law gave me? Originally they were an old headboard that, sadly, fell off the roof of his truck while delivering it to me. All that was salvaged was three beautifully carved and colorful boards that have been stashed in the backroom for over a year waiting for their purpose to become known.

The longer piece would work as a shelf perfectly and I just happened to have two brackets in the closet. By hanging it high on the wall, I was able to see only the bottom/pretty part of the wood and still use it for a function. The two smaller pieces were set aside for a moment longer.

While pondering what else to do with the space I asked myself'; what goes with books? All I could think of was large bookcases are often accessorized with picture frames and other knick knacks. That is when it all fell into place. I hung the other two boards parallel to the larger one, but flush on the wall, to break up the surface a little. Then I grabbed all the extra framed photos I had in the house and began randomly hanging them. Lastly, I added a few decorative items and took a step back to take a look. Finally, the entrance to my home not only looked good - it was dramatic! I have had so many compliments on what I did I decided to share it. Hope you enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment